When You’re Hurt As A Passenger In A Car Accident
If you’ve been injured as a passenger in a car accident you may be unsure about how you’ll cover your medical bills, lost time from work and other damages. Serious injuries can often require costly surgeries, hospital stays, rehabilitation and ongoing medical care, and you may also be concerned about how you will afford any future care that may be required. At the Stanley Law Offices, our skilled car accident attorneys have more than 90 years of combined experience and have successfully recovered thousands of dollars for clients in personal injury cases. We can help you pursue all avenues of compensation to ensure you get the care you need.
Recovering Compensation From Insurance Companies
Both New York and Pennsylvania are no-fault insurance states, which means that the driver and passengers can seek compensation for medical expenses, lost wages and property damage from the driver’s own insurance company, regardless of who was at fault for the accident. However, this also means that you’re not permitted to file a personal injury claim against an insured driver for these and other types of damages such as pain and suffering unless you have suffered serious injury. The types of injuries that may qualify as serious or catastrophic include:
- Severe disfigurement
- Loss or limitation of a body function
- Loss of a fetus
- Permanent loss or limitation of use of an organ, member, bodily function or system
Other types of injuries may also meet the serious injury threshold in NY and PA but it’s tough to make a persuasive case and recover compensation for serious injury on your own. That’s why seeking the counsel of an experienced car accident attorney is vital. A seasoned legal team will utilize diagnostic and testimonial evidence and consult medical and rehabilitation experts who can testify to the extent of your injuries and pain. Not only that, if another driver was involved in the accident and your injuries were sustained due to their negligence, you may be entitled to compensation from their insurer as well. Your own medical and auto insurance may also cover some costs of treatment.
It’s important to explore every option to get the care and compensation you need to protect your health and your family’s financial future. A car accident lawyer can help you understand your rights and advise you on the most effective course of action to recover the maximum compensation you deserve.
Steps To Take If You’re Injured In A Motor Vehicle Accident
Following an accident, there are a few vital actions you should take to protect your health and your rights.
- Call 911 and seek medical attention right away.
- Gather contact and insurance information from all involved drivers and information from any witnesses.
- Take photos of the scene, your injuries and jot down the details of the accident while they’re fresh in your mind.
- Avoid discussing details of the crash at the scene unless you’re speaking with law enforcement. Do not post anything about the accident or your injuries on social media.
- If the police can’t give you a copy of their report at the scene, make sure to obtain this valuable piece of evidence as soon as you can.
- Do not give a recorded or official statement or sign anything from an insurance company before speaking with a car accident lawyer. There are statutes of limitations that apply to personal injury claims, so if you’ve been hurt it’s critical to contact an attorney right away.
Contact a Car Accident Attorney
Whether you’ve been injured or have lost a loved one as a passenger in a crash, our experienced car accident lawyers can help you understand and pursue legal remedies for compensation. Contact Stanley Law Offices online or call 800-608-3333 to schedule a free initial consultation. If you are unable to travel due to your injury, our lawyers will gladly meet you at home or the hospital. Se habla español.